Thursday, October 10, 2013

Corbin Birth Story!

Corbin’s Birth Story
Monday, July 08, 2013
We woke up around 6 am to make it to my 9 o’clock doctor’s appointment that is 2 hours away. We got ready and headed out. The whole way up I was getting frustrated with Glen because I hate driving 2 hrs to the nearest doctor and hospital. I was also nervous that my doc would say I haven’t progressed and he cant induce me on the 14th.  I needed to be induced because: 1. I didn't want to go into labor in the middle of nowhere and 2. I needed to have family here to watch Crew. Anyways, we got to the doctors and for some reason the scheduled me not with my doctor so that meant I couldn't schedule my induction, then to make matters worse I wasn't progressed AT ALL. I started to freak out and ask to schedule an appointment with my doctor later that day. They said they didn't have any appointments. So then I asked for appointments later that week, no appointments.  Finally after being pregnancy crazy and an emotional wreck they scheduled an appointment with me to meet with my doctor on Friday. I walked out crying telling Glen that this little boy was never going to come. Little did I know.
Tuesday July 9, 2013
It seemed like an ordinary day. Glen had to go to Tucson for training. Crew and I were going to work on the yard and work on their new room. We got up , spray painted some frames, played in the yard, and racked up some rocks. Around 10:00 am I started noticing that I had some pains but I didn't think anything of it because I had been having contractions since about 34 weeks, but they weren't doing anything to help me progress or have this baby.  I laid Crew down for a nap around 12:00 and I started to notice I was having contractions pretty regular that were 15 min apart sometimes 10 min apart. My doctor told me to start heading up when they got to 10 min apart because I lived so far away. So I was just waiting it out not thinking I would really go into labor. I made plans to go visiting teaching around 4:00 (which I never do) and got ready. The contractions were still 15 min apart but moved to about 8-10 min around 3:00 I thought I was just psyching myself out.  So I went visiting teaching.   As I was sitting there my contractions got stronger and more intense. I was trying to act normal so she wouldn't think I was having this baby in her living room. Then we went to the next house, I was sitting in pain. They told me I should probably got to the hospital. I didn't want to go all the way up there for them to tell me that I wasn't in labor. My friend Daisy (who is also my visiting teaching companion) called her mother-in-law who works at the hospital and she said that I should head up. I started to freak out. I wasn't ready! I had no one to watch Crew! My family isn't here!
I drove home and told Glen that we should head up. He was taken off guard because he didn't know I was really in labor. My contractions were getting pretty intense as I was running around my house to get things ready. Luckily I have an AMAZING friend down here Lindsey who said she would take Crew.  Everything was happening so fast.  Crew all the sudden grew up in my eyes he hoped in the car with his back pack and said “Bye Mom, baby brother!”
Glen and I started our 2 hr drive to the hospital. It was around 5:30 when we left. I just kept thinking that these contractions were going to stop and it was a waste of time (even though I had been having them all day). We were talking about what to name baby brother and counting contractions on the drive up. We couldn't decide on a name still and my contractions were getting closer and closer. I don’t think we ever got to phoenix so fast. We stopped at Little Caesars before going to the hospital because I realized I hadn't eaten, and I wasn't going to starve while having a baby. Note to self: NEVER eat spicy pepperoni pizza before having a baby. WAY bad heart burn is all I can say.
We got to the hospital and they hooked me up to the monitors. The nurse checked me and told me that I wasn't progressed. I wasn't even a 1 and I was still posterior, but my contractions are 5-6 min apart. She told me that they would most likely send me home. WHAT! They can’t send me home. I live 2 hrs away and will have this baby in the middle of nowhere! I started to freak out and cry. I just sat there and prayed that the doctor would admit me.  The nurse came back in and told me that I had two options. I could walk for an hour to see if I progressed or they could send me home.  I chose walk for an hour. It was about 8:45 when we started walking. My contractions were so much more intense with baby brother. I was determined that they were not going to send me home. I was pretty much running up and down the halls. At one point I was seriously doing high knees. Every time I had contractions I would hold on to Glen. Glen was doing great at letting me use him as a punching bag and keeping track of the time and how close my contractions were. They were now 3-5 apart and so intense. I was for sure I was staying! The hour was up and we headed back to see what they would say.
They hooked me back up and checked me. Contractions 3-5 min apart but still not progressed! Once again I freaked out. I didn't know how I wasn't progressed. I was stressing out because they still didn't say they would admit me. The nurse left to talk to the doctor. When she came back in she said they were going to send me home and to come back when they were “Back breaking” She said they couldn't start me on Pitocin because I wasn't 39 weeks.  I was stressing out. I didn't know what to do. My mind was racing. How are they sending me home when my contractions are 3-5 min apart? Why am I not progressing? I’m going to have this baby in the car. What are we going to do? I got dressed sobbing and slowly walked to the car while having contractions.  I had 3 just walking to the car. I had no idea when I was supposed to come back in or if I should just drive home. I remember the nurse telling me to take extra strength Tylenol for pain. I seriously wanted to punch her in the face there is no way that was going to do anything!  Glen was awesome and was patient with me. He told me that we weren't going home because we would be coming back in the ambulance if we drove all that way. He got us a motel room.  I was in so much pain. My contractions seemed to be more intense this time. I didn't remember them hurting like this before.  Or maybe I don’t have a high pain tolerance anymore. We left the hospital around 11:00 pm.
I seriously felt like crazy pregnant lady. As we were driving to the motel I would tell Glen not to hit any bumps because it hurt so badly. He was so calm and patient and drove so careful. He got out and got us checked in. I just sat there looking at the clock trying to figure out how to get through the next contraction. We got up our room and I tried lying in bed I would just sit and hold on to Glen and squeeze him arm. I just kept picturing holding him, how this would all be worth it.  I sat there praying I could take this pain.  I was so desperate that I even goggled breathing techniques and how to position your body to relive pain (I laugh at that now).

Wednesday July 10, 2013
 Finally around 4:30 am in the morning I couldn't take it anymore. I told Glen that we needed to go.  He helped me walk to the car. I thought for sure at this point we weren't going to make it. My contractions were 1-2 min apart.
We pulled up to labor and delivery. The doors were locked and said that we needed to enter through the ER.  I yelled to the security guard to open the door and told Glen to park the car. I walked in picked up the phone at OB triage and said “I’m going to have my baby, open the door.” I slowly walked into triage and stood next to the door where they let you back. I just sat there crying asking her to open the door. The nurse was trying to get my info but I wasn't patient. All I could think of was that epidural and end this intense pain. The nurse who sent me home opened the door and said “I think we’re going to keep you!” I thought yes you’re going to keep me! I couldn't even walk I felt like crawling to the room.  Glen helped me change and get on the bed. The nurse hooked me up and checked me and said you’re at a 5 almost a 6, and having strong contractions that are 1-2 min apart. I usually am scared of needles but at this point I didn't care. I was in so much pain my whole body was shaking.  She gave me my IV’s and they brought me back to labor and delivery. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural. Glen sat and held my hand (he is really into all this stuff so he wanted to see) the doctor kept telling him to sit down because they have had people pass out before, but Glen just stood there. The epidural was finally in WAHOO!
The nurse came in (side note: she looked familiar and we realized that she was the nurse that helped me with Crew. The next nurse came and she was also the nurse that was there with Crew. We thought it was pretty cool!) She brought me apple juice and tums. I had the worst heart burn from that pizza! She said my heart rate was high and that I had a temperature. At this point baby’s heart rate was fine, and they just wanted to monitor me. I could feel my heart just beating. I think it was from all the stress I was having up until this point.  They couldn't get my heart rate or temperature to go down. The doctor thought I might have an infection and broke my water around 10:00 am. I didn't feel good, threw up, and felt like couldn't breathe. She gave me oxygen because his heart rate spiked and they couldn't get it to go down. She talked to me about having a C-section because she wanted to prepare me for that if my heart rate didn't go down, baby’s heart rate didn't go down, and if they couldn't get rid of my fever.  Luckily the oxygen helped baby and my heart rate both went down but I still had a fever. She told me that I was OK and at that point had no signs of C-section because everything went down even though I had a fever. WAHOO! Less stress! Everything was good!  I started not to feel sick, baby‘s heart rate was down, and I wasn't in pain.  Now we wait.
Glen and I called Crew over face-time, watched Family Feud, and decided we needed to figure out a name for baby brother.  Time went on and we couldn't figure out what felt right and we just waited, talked, hung out, and slept. The nurse came in and said I was at a ten and was going to get the doctor. I was so excited! I couldn't wait to hold my baby! While we waiting for the doctor I told Glen we need a name. Here’s how his name came to be: We decided on David for the middle name because both our dads names are David. And  Cache, Cash, Kash as the first name. Yep that was the problem, we couldn't figure out how to spell it. So we sat and talked about it and couldn't make up our minds. Then the name Corbin came to my mind. I asked Glen what he thought of the name and he said that he actually was thinking of the name a few weeks ago but didn't think I would like it. So we knew that should be his name! Corbin David Ballard! Now we can have this baby! Everything was in place, everything was perfect. We just needed him here!
The doctor came and said “This baby is going to be here in no time!” I pushed once, twice, and he was here! I was seriously in shock. The doctor laid him on my chest. Glen then cut the umbilical cord.  We couldn't believe how fast he was here!  I asked the nurse how long did I push. She said two minutes and fifteen seconds. I remember just sitting there in amazement as we waited for his first cry. I couldn't believe our perfect little boy was already here. All the pain and struggles of getting to this point was clearly worth it. We looked at him and fell in love!
He had so much hair, and it was curly! I was so excited to have a curly haired boy! He had long fingers and toes. I felt like when he was born he looked just like his mama!

The nurses came and took him to weigh him and check him. The laid him on the scale 8lbs 20in! The nurses were once again in shock because they couldn't believe I had an 8lb baby. We are so grateful Corbin is here perfect and healthy!

 
 


























No comments:

Post a Comment